Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Following up on my tirade of last week, I'm looking into where national team players play their club ball and if there is any correlation between that and how successful the national team has been in the World Cup. So, first things first, what are the elite club leagues? My initial thought is that the list is very short: English Premier League, Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga and Italian Serie A. That's it. But then what is the criteria for determining that? Champions League? Club World Cup? Various other tournaments? Player salaries? The number of national team players in the league? So, what is your list of the top leagues? Does it include any leagues outside of Europe, such as Brazil's or Argentina's? What about the French, Dutch, Portuguese leagues? Give me your list of the elite club leagues.

5 comments:

Ryan Flaherty said...

La Liga, La Liga, La Liga, and Premiership, Serie A.

FreshSnaps said...

no Bundesliga?

Ryan Flaherty said...

I guess. They were in the champions league final. Well, because of Robben.

But they are fine. However if you add the Bundesliga, then what about Brazil League, Holland, france (Lyon made quick work of Real-again, ha!)?

I don't know. They are all pretty good, and I am sure draining. But certainly the elite teams are the most sapped. The Champions League might be the worst for international football (but it is the best soccer, so...), and really how many cups does england need? It is just too much. All of it. I wish they would alter the calendars every four years. Or maybe find a more nuanced schedule for club and country play. Maybe allow two or three week international windows? But, until FIFA and the leagues start sharing revenue more, nothing will happen. So, nothing will happen.

And the world cup suffers for it.

FreshSnaps said...

well, in my research, which I will "publish" here, the Premier league has the most national team players, followed by Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga in that order.

Ryan Flaherty said...

Yeah, I'd say Premiership is the most physically demanding. And I think that is mostly the problem: beat up bodies. Those who are healthy are doing well. Interesting to look at Torres and Villa. One Premiership (not doing well at all, but also suffering from long injury) and one La Liga (having the tournament of his life).

Who knows.