Friday, July 2, 2010

Will today be a day of upsets?

I think so.

I know Brazil have been pretty dominant in every game, but I just don't like them. I can't stand Kaka, drives me nuts or more accurately he dives me nuts. And Lucio, I'm not a fan. In general, I don't love the philosophy of the team, no matter how effective it might be. I know they've scored some goals, but I think their midfield is going to have some problems with the dutch. Sneidjer, Van Bommel, Kuyt, they are quick in transition, but also hard-nosed enough to slow Brazil. Brazil's midfield is pretty banged up with lots of injuries, so they won't have their first or even second choices in there. In past games, teams have ceded the midfield and Brazil was waltzed through in attack. But if you do go through Brazil's midfield, they foul you. That is the Brazil game: attack beautifully, and when it breaks down Gilberto or Lucio fouls, slows play, the defense gets back, and then attack again. I think they are going to get into card trouble early in the midfield, then the dutch will impose on the midfield, and they'll get a couple goals. Of course Brazil will score too. I say 2-1 Netherlands. Hup Oranje!

In the second game: go Ghana! As far as pressure goes, Ghana has none. They have done wonderfully and are happy to be here. The support of the continent doesn't come with many expectations, so they are going to be much looser. Uruguay think they have a real chance and I think it will get to them a little. If Ghana can frustrate them, or even get an early goal, as they did against the US, game on. But, Uruguay have some serious talent, so they should overcome Ghana. Ghana has a few worrying injuries and yellow card suspensions that could dampen their chances, most notably Gyan, the goal scorer. We'll see if he is fit. I'm guessing he won't miss this. But, oh, if Ghana had Essien healthy, this would be a completely different story (and the brackets would have been different, as they would have beaten Germany).

Either way, great day of games. Go Oranje! Go Ghana!

No comments: